Following ten weeks of bi-weekly lessons during the fall 2011 semester, 108 fifth-grade students from seven Pittsburgh Public and two Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh/Extra Mile Foundation elementary schools competed today in the Dancing Classrooms Pittsburgh Colors of the Rainbow semi-final team match.
The competition was held in the auditorium of Pittsburgh Allderdice High School in front of an enthusiastic, standing-room-only crowd of family members, friends, school principals, teachers and administrators, and program funders.
Students from the nine elementary schools performed the Merengue, Foxtrot, Rumba, Tango, and Swing before a panel of three judges.
Placing gold and advancing to the Colors of the Rainbow final team match are:
- Pittsburgh Lincoln K-5 (Team Yellow) in East Liberty
- Pittsburgh Miller PreK-5 (Team Green) in the Hill District
- Pittsburgh West Liberty K-5 (Team Red) in Brookline
- Sister Thea Bowman PreK-8 Catholic Academy (Team Magenta) in Wilkinsburg
- Pittsburgh Montessori PreK-8 (Team Orange) in Friendship
- Pittsburgh Spring Hill K-5 (Team Blue) in Spring Hill
- Pittsburgh Sunnyside K-8 (Team Indigo) in Stanton Heights
- Pittsburgh Weil PreK-5 (Team Purple) in the Hill District
- St. Benedict the Moor School K-8 (Team Emerald) in the Hill District
In May, Pittsburgh Lincoln, Pittsburgh Miller, Pittsburgh West Liberty, and Sister Thea Bowman will meet the gold medal winners from the upcoming spring 2012 semester of Dancing Classrooms Pittsburgh, a program of Mercy Behavioral Health.
Congratulations to all dancers on a job well done.
Special thanks to our panel of judges — Patrick Flynn, Gerry LaVan and Kelly Photopoulos — for their time and expertise, and to our generous sponsors who make the in-school program and the competitions possible.